Wednesday, March 18, 2009

R.I.P. Popcorn

I don't think I posted this video originally other than sending it to some friends, but Johnny Knoxville did a great interview a few months back with legendary moonshiner Popcorn Sutton. Popcorn was the living embodiment of what you think a moonshiner is, and. he was looking at two years in prison, two years that I'm sure he wouldn't have survived. Popcorn took his life this week to avoid his prison sentence. We won't be seeing his like again.

I'm from the south and have heard moonshine stories all my life and have had a handful of nights with the stuff myself. Here's to you, Popcorn. I hope you're taking a slug from the jar wherever you are.

For Knoxville's story about Popcorn's death and the original story, click here. Just a heads up, the interview is pretty, um, frank. Really, really frank. But chances are if you've survived reading my words to this point, you'll make it through this.

2 comments:

mmyers said...

I was a little saddened when I saw something trying to pass itself off as Moonshine in the liquor store. At least it was in a mason jar, I suppose.

Will said...

Yeah, that stuff always kind of irks me when I see it. On the other hand, I bought some Wild Turkey Rye. I think my voice dropped a couple of octaves after sipping it.