Sunday, September 14, 2008

I did an interesting (to me, at least) writing exercise this afternoon. It was a conversation between me and depression. In my head, depression’s voice sounded a lot like Orson Welles. I liked the way it turned out, and it helped me work on my dialogue skills a little bit. I’m not putting the whole thing here, because…well, most of it is really personal and a little emo-y. I did like this little exchange though:

“How do you pop up so easily? Last weekend, I had a great time, spent the afternoon having fun with my friends, then almost jerked the car into the median on purpose on the way home. What was that about?”

“I’m sneaky. And I’m always there.”

”Like the Venom symbiote.”

“Jokes like that aren’t helping the situation.”

So, the writer nerd part of my life is progressing nicely. As for the music nerd stuff, please note that Ella Guru, the best record store in the world, has moved into the 280 Elizabeth St. complex, where Dad’s Garage is. So, go buy some records and see some fun theater. I bought the I Believe to My Soul compilation from Don this weekend and it sounds so, so fine.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Did depression also mention that driving to many Home Depots in one day also tires a man out and makes them question the meaning of life? Thanks for the help.

Will said...

Depression pointed out that for at least those four hours, I was too distracted to think about depression. So, thanks.

If we can catch up again before you go back to Alabama, I'll give you an Oak Ridge Boys mix CD to get you ready for the weekend.

Gray said...

I love that Burke album that is mentioned in the description of that compilation you bought. You should get it if you don't have it. It warms the soul.

mmyers said...

Ooh! A record store by Dad's makes me a happy boy. I'd have to build up my courage to go into L5P-proper to go to those music stores.

My pal George and I sat down at Waffle House and had a good conversation about Depression. Wish you were there.

Unknown said...

The Great Depression was a dramatic, worldwide economic downturn starting in most places in 1929 and ending at different times in the 1930s for different countries. It was the largest and most important economic depression in world history, and is used in the 21st century as a benchmark on how far a modern economy could possibly fall. The Great Depression originated in the United States;

I might have missed the point of your blog. Are you going to mess our economy?

Will said...

Gray, I'll check out the Burke album. I think I have a couple by him around here somewhere.

Matt, I would have liked to have been part of that conversation, both for the subject and for the waffles. And definitely go check out Ella Guru. He doesn't have a big sign up yet, but he's next to the scooter store facing Elizabeth.

Cesar, I couldn't mess up the economy any more than the Republicans have, AMIRIGHT? (applause)