Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The World's Greatest Sinner

A few weeks ago on TCM’s Underground, maybe the best block of programming on television, they showed a classic so fucked up, so out there, that it has now taken the crown as THE WEIRDEST GODDAMN MOVIE I’VE EVER SEEN.


Please keep in mind this is coming from a guy who owns the three-disk deluxe edition DVD of Caligula and saw Pink Flamingos in the theater.


The World’s Greatest Sinner, from 1962, is a project from Timothy Carey, a character actor who had roles in Kubrick and Cassavettes films. He wrote, directed, produced, distributed and stars in the film, which is about…


Hoo boy.


You know you’re in for something when the screen immediately slams you in the face with a blast of red. Carey plays Clarence “God” Hilliard, an ordinary guy who walks out on his insurance job and starts his own religion based on man being his own god. Also, he spreads the word through rockabilly music, while sporting a glue-on soul patch. Oh, and then he runs for president. And he and his family live in the suburbs but have a pony. And Frank Zappa did the score, some of his earliest professional work. And fucking Paul Frees is the voice of the Devil. It all leads to conclusion built of Hilliard’s own hubris that…look, you have to see this for yourself.


I’m pretty sure Carey made this movie for two primary reasons:


  1. So he could make the movie he wanted to make, with the political and religious themes he wanted, Hollywood system be damned.
  2. So he could make out with women ranging from age 14 to around 80 throughout the movie.


I respect that. It gives me hope for getting my script for Sharkfinhat Gives It to that Girl From Transformers made.


The World’s Greatest Sinner is filled with bizarre jump cuts, weird imagery, Dadaist influences, and Carey generally looking like he’s ganked out of his mind most of the time. All of this insanity wraps up in under 80 minutes. Over at Absolute Films, run by Carey’s son, you can find out more about whatever the hell this is and get a copy of the film.


I’m leaning towards The World’s Greatest Sinner being genius. It’s been a month since I watched this thing and I can’t get it out of my head. Isn’t that one of the requirements of great art? My hat’s off to you, Mr. Carey.


6 comments:

Frakall said...

The weirdest goddamned movie or the BEST GODDAMNED movie ever? Sounds amazing. They were getting their freak on before getting your freak on was groovy. Man.

Will said...

I'm leaning towards best. I'm going to be hosting a viewing party at some point. I'll keep you in the loop. We need to hang out soon anyway.

Gray said...

I think my friend Millie was directly responsible for this getting aired. Sometimes I wish I had The Cable.

Will said...

Tell her thanks.

mmyers said...

Sounds like a fun film to watch, perhaps with some beer on chill in case I need a boost to get 'freaky-minded'.

Will said...

Beer will be a prerequisite. Also, absinthe. Weed. LSD. Ether. Crystal meth. Horse tranquilizer. Ooh, and a sack of Krystals.