Sunday, January 11, 2009

Making it happen, then watching it happen

A word of warning: this entry is very me-centric and skirts around the edges of egomania. Let me assure you that I'm still as self-loathing as ever. Death, taxes, and me hating myself: depend on it!

About a year ago, I wrote a short story to submit to a horror anthology. Said horror anthology rejected the story, in part because I accidentally wrote a comedy, but I had fun writing it and showed it to some friends. Swarney, filmmaker extraordinaire, told me to turn it into a script. So, I turned it into a script. Swarney says "I'm doing this next." He gets his two leads, one of whom is a good friend and a beloved Atlanta actor. I don't know the other lead, but if Swarney wants him, then I'm sold.

This morning, we had our first script readthrough with Matt and Jeremiah. The four of us were all kind of worn out from our respective Saturdays, but watching those two guys take control of the characters and get them figured out was incredible. We read through it once, with Swarney leading things and me filling in one for one of the supporting roles. Everybody stops once the food arrives (as an aside, the weekend brunch menu at Manuel's Tavern is greasy and awesome), then we run through it again, switching the leads. Those two guys owned it by the second time through, and I found myself laughing at lines I had written because they sold it so well.

I was also laughing because what I had written was genius, but that's a given.

It's just kind of weird that this riduculous story that I wrote one afternoon last year while stuck at home, bored and depressed during a snowstorm has now lead to actors learning lines, locations being scouted, and people commiting a lot of time and effort. It's gratifying and humbling and I'm looking forward to being a part of it as it develops. More on this as it happens.

11 comments:

Frakall said...

Congratulations young Will. I see why you and your big fucking ego blew me off for drinks. Have your people call my people when you have some free time.

Will said...

Leggo my ego.

I'll shoot you an email about drinks this week.

DJ said...

Dude, this is fantastic!

Will said...

Much appreciated. I'm excited about it. The director's great and the guys playing the leads are really funny. More ego: I was at a party this weekend and another guy asked when I was going to write something for him to shoot. I have this great idea about an island where they recreate dinosaurs.

DJ said...

Title Suggestion:

"The Island Where Dinosaurs Attacked People."

Andrew S. said...

By the way, Will, I've decided to make the horse a guy instead. And instead of 60', he'll be 5'8". And played by me. It'll still be great, though.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic Will! Congratulations.

Cary said...

That story was genius! I laughed out loud a few times while reading it. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product onscreen.

Awesome news!

Will said...

Thanks, guys. If any of you happen to know people who will hand over large sacks of cash in exchange for a short stoner monster movie, please let me know.

mmyers said...

My mission is to make that horror magazine sorry they didn't take that story. You'll rue the day you turned down Will's story, Vincent Price's Equine Tales of Horror!

Will said...

It's probably my own fault for submitting it to Sassy.