Wednesday, January 7, 2009

R.I.P. Ron

Ron Asheton died, as you most likely know by now. If you don't know him, I feel sorry for you. The music that he made with the Stooges helped to wake me up to the world. That grinding, metallic, beautiful noise made me realize that there was more to music than what I was hearing on the radio. Once I heard the Stooges and the MC5, the old me was done, and so much for the better. I hope he and Johnny Thunders are jamming together right now. Here's a little something that pays tribute to the man's work. For Christ's sake, go seek out the originals.

2 comments:

Cary said...

Ditto. The Stooges, New York Dolls, MC5, Richard Hell and The Voidoids...

We're getting to the point where all those guys are getting old and those that got this far did it despite drug problems and living on the edge. We're losing the last generation of real rebels and unfortunately many people don't even realize who they are.

Will said...

When I'm king, I'm going to require that every high school freshman be forced to read Please Kill Me and listen to at least three albums from it.