Sunday, August 17, 2008

Literary pursuits

Okay, the story about abject failure in selling short stories may have to wait a bit, as I've found another avenue where I may try to sell what I consider to be the finest American short story since Hemingway thought up the name Nick Adams. Come to think of it, fuck Hemingway. Did his story have a horse that was six stories tall?

I think you understand now why I'm having a bit of trouble unloading this bad boy.

In the meantime, here's a list of what's been on the nightstand lately:

1. KISS: Behind the Mask. I found on this discount table and picked it up. It's good, but after Motley Crue's The Dirt, I've found that most rock and roll biographies tend to pale in comparison. Still, it's kind of interesting the read about the single-minded focus on success that Paul and Gene shared since day one. This is also the reason that I'm currently on my third episode of Gene Simmons' Family Jewels right now.

2. Confederates in the Attic by Tony Horwitz. A really interesting travelogue written by a guy who grew up fascinated with the Civil War, grew up and expatriated while covering wars overseas, then moved back to the southern U.S. He criss-crosses the south, uncovering the continuing legacy of the Civil War on southern people. A lot of it gave me pause and made me reconsider some of my own attitudes about the past and the present. A lot of it made me LOf'ingL, too.

3. Popeye, Vol. 2 by E.C. Segar. I've got a weakness for old comics strips, and these books are beautifully put together. Segar uses Popeye as a vehicle to tell some incredibly wide-ranging stories, from old west adventures to commentary on the issues of the day, like Popeye opening a Depression-era bank that only gives money out , never taking any in. Granted, Popeye was no Funky Winkerbean, but it's pretty good.

Next up, Cormac McCarthy's The Road and Haruki Murakami's After Dark. Well, to be perfectly honest, the roast of Bob Saget is up next. Then something highbrow.


2 comments:

Gray said...

Like I have to say it, but The Road is really good. I just finished it a couple of weeks ago, myself.

I'm pleased to read your words on a site that doesn't rhyme with "thighspace".

Will said...

Too many surveys and not enough gadgets there.